I am speaking from both experience and expertise. How to lose weight is one thing, but how to pull of weight loss is quite another. I will summarize the approach and entire experience as me having done what worked for me. The worst, most backwards thing to do is to find the right, perfect, or most healthy diet. It does not exist.
- Low Carb diet. I lost a bunch of body fat quickly, and 80 lbs. overall . It involves being in ketosis. which is a perpetual fat burning state for the body. You can start today with My Personal Ketogenic Diet Page. It has instructions and meal plans.
- I Replaced two meals with diet shakes so that I could look forward to that one meal to go in on (within reason). The Best Meal Replacement Shakes for Weight Loss
- I started eating the things that I liked, but in a way that sped up my metabolism and forced my body to burn fat. See: Eating Everyday Food to Lose and Maintain Healthy Weight
My approach was and is this:. Taking what I like to eat, while finding ways to reduce calories, excess carbs, and increase protein. And its been working out pretty great for me.
Its all about manipulation.
This is my take on the whole fitness/weight loss paradigm as a human being, a person who has done it, and a professional.
I had to learn to separate my medical concerns from my dietary ones. Yes, they do overlap in areas, but you don’t typically consult a physician for weight loss advice. You seek out a dietician, trainer, or someone with some sort of relevant experience.
- Salt, gluten, cholesterol, beef, pork, lactose, bottled water, diet soda, artificial sweeteners etc. may never have any medical repercussions for most of us simply because they aren’t inherently ‘bad’. But of course for some of us those are concerns
- If not, avoiding them may just make reaching your goal and building realistic eating habits that much more impractical. Sometimes you can prepare a healthy meal, sometimes you can buy one, and sometimes you can cut a unhealthy one in half and make it healthy. I’m just saying. That’s realistic.
This is how I control my weight. I eat what I like. Weight loss, body fat in particular, is regulated by hormones. So are other bodily functions such as growth, menstruation and libido. So, I eat what I want, but in a way that produces the desired hormonal response. That includes controlling factors such as portion size, carb type and amount (glycemic index), amount of meals eaten daily, and getting sufficient protein. Point?
- That means pretty much all food is fair game if you understand its effects and learn to make certain concessions
- Those factors also affect the speed and efficiency (fat vs.muscle atrophy) of weight loss
- This is the knowledge or pre-planned meals people pay for (Jenny, Nutrisystems, Weight Watchers)
A Break Down Here For Those Who Are Interested
- If you can cut portion sizes, eliminate excess carbs, increase your protein consumption, and eat 4-6 meals throughout the day, you will have the framework for successful weight loss. Learn more: Portions, Protein, and Carbs. What this change in eating habits looks like.
- When I was over 300 lbs., the self-loathing was real and I needed a no fuss, no guess work, quick way to drop some lbs. That was the low carb diet (like Atkins) but I came up with my own. I lost 60 lbs. and ironically because I was hypertensive and had hyperlipidemia (high cholesterol) this being a high fat diet actually lowered both. If you want to know what I did, click here
Having lost the initial weight presented a whole new set of concerns/questions: How do I go about losing the rest? How do I make sure it is healthy? What is the best way to do it? I can’t diet to lose weight forever, so how do I factor that in? How do I build better eating habits that give me a sense of normalcy so that I wouldn’t feel so restricted or limited and having to think and plan what to eat all of the time. The Short Answer: Smaller portions, high protein, lower carbs, 4-6 meals per day. Site Content:
- What I did and what I would recommend to anyone who is currently trying to lose weight
- Healthy but practical ways to lose weight
- How to make better, more realistic choices to build sustainable eating habits
- Weight loss 101 and how fat burning actually occurs
- High Protein meals under 450 calories that you DON’T have to make yourself