I started on the controversial low-carb diet. And I lost about 5lbs. per week until I shed a whopping 100 lbs. My hypertension dissipated and my blood lipids reduced without the aid of medicine. But here are some general tips for any change in eating habits that you embark on;
CONSUME MULTIPLE (4-6), SMALLER MEALS
LIMIT SUGAR AND SWEETS
DRINK MORE WATER
MAKE PROTEIN THE FOCUS OF PORTIONS
REDUCE CARBS WHENEVER POSSIBLE
FOR EXERCISE, START OFF WALKING IF YOU AREN’T READY TO RUN. IT HELPS ( This is how I started. Many people have expressed concerns about simply not wanting to go to the gym or for runs. While eventually your ass will need to get moving, it is OK to just do a little walking)
- To the grocery store, obviously not if you have a ton of shopping to do
- Up the stairs instead of using the elevator
- Short walks in the morning to get the blood flowing
- The local gas station or drug store
- With a friend to and around the park
EAT WHAT YOU WANT (mostly), JUST NOT ALL AT ONCE
- Break a footlong up into 2 six inch meals
- Fix a big bowl of spaghetti and eat half now and the rest hours later
- Don’t be afraid to pack a to-go bag at restaurants. Don’t waste it, just the eat leftovers later
* It can be very mental. We are accustomed to fixing and eating large portions at once, almost subconsciously. So, what I do is fix a big plate of food, that way I can focus on eating half of it for one meal, and the other half for another. And I’m a fat kid at heart. I know the tendencies. So when I say ‘for another meal’, I mean 3-4 hrs. later If you don’t feel like counting calories, then DO NOT EAT A BIG PLATE/PORTION OF FOOD AT ONCE
OH, DID I SAY PROTEIN?????
* Don’t just eat a plate of rice or a bowl of oatmeal. Cut the rice in half and add grilled chicken. Cut the oatmeal in half and add eggs/egg whites and pork/turkey bacon. Eat fruit with a protein shake or bar.
I’m just sayin…….